Privacy & Cookies Policy
fellowtechies is an online student’s network which is
focused on helping students become the best professional they can. To achieve this mission, it is important that
we enable users to benefit from expertise, opinions and experiences of other
users. At the same time, we appreciate
and respect our member’s privacy. This
policy sets out our privacy practices and explains how we handle the
information we collect when you visit and use our sites, services, mobile
applications, products, and content (“Services”).
1. Information we collect
1.1 Information you provide to us
- To create an account you provide data including your name, email address and mobile number, password, college information, branch, passing out year, feedback about your college. If you register for a premium service, we may ask you for payment (e.g., credit card) and billing information.
- To update your profile, you provide information such as skills, city, inspirations, project details, learning opportunities, proficiency level, career preferences etc
- You provide other data to us when you participate in different surveys, send invitations etc
1.2 Information from others
- We receive personal data about you when you use the services of our customers and partners
- When you create your fellowtechies account, and authenticate via a third-party service like Twitter or Facebook, we may collect, store, and periodically update the contact lists associated with that third-party account, so you can connect with existing contacts from that service who are on fellowtechies
1.3 Information from service use
- We log usage data when you visit or otherwise use our Services, including our sites, app and platform technology (e.g., our off-site plugins), such as when you view or click on content (e.g., learning video, articles) or ads (on or off our sites and apps), perform a search, install one of our mobile apps, share articles or apply for jobs. We use log-ins, cookies, device information and internet protocol (“IP”) addresses to identify you and log your use.
- When you visit or leave our Services (including our plugins or cookies or similar technology on the sites of others), we receive the URL of both the site you came from and the one you go to next. We also get information about your IP address, proxy server, operating system, web browser and add-ons, device identifier and features, and/or ISP or your mobile carrier. If you use our Services from a mobile device, that device will send us data about your location. Most devices allow you to prevent location data from being sent to us and we honour your settings
2. How do we use data
- We use your data to authenticate you and authorize access to our Services.
- We allow connections to be able to search each others’ connections in order to build their network.
- We use data about you to suggest connections for you and others
- We use the information about you to recommend relevant content across our Services, suggest skills you may have to add to your profile and skills that you might need to pursue your next opportunity
- Your profile can be found by those looking to hire (for a job or internship). We may use your data to recommend jobs, show you and others who work at a company, in an industry, function or location or have certain skills and connections.
- We may use your data to recommend educational courses or opportunities for you based on the career aspirations you have entered in your profile.
- We may serve you tailored ads both on and off of our Services. If you take an action (such as click, like, comment or share) on these ads, your action is associated with your name and viewable by others, including the ad provider.
- We use data and content about members for invitations and communications promoting membership and network growth, engagement and our Services.
- We use your data and feedback to conduct research and development for further enhancement of our services to provide you and others more meaningful content, personalized and intuitive user experience
- We use the data available to us to research social, economic and workplace trends such as jobs availability and skills needed for these jobs and policies that help bridge the gap in various industries and geographic areas. In some cases, we work with trusted third parties to perform this research, under controls that are designed to protect your privacy. We publish or allow others to publish economic insights, presented as aggregated data rather than personal data.
- fellowtechies has other sister companies / affiliates under the umbrella of Varp Infotech Pvt Ltd. We may use data provided by you for the promotion and business development of these companies (without making your personal data public)
- We may share your personal information if required by law, such as pursuant to a subpoena or other legal process.
- We use the data (which can include your communications) needed to investigate, respond to and resolve complaints and Service issues (e.g., bugs).
- We use your information to produce aggregate insights that do not identify you. For example we may use your data to generate statistics about our users, their profession or industry, the number of ad impressions served or clicked on, or the demographic distribution of visitors to a site.
3. Other Important Points
- We don’t share your financial information with anyone
- We will object to requests for information about members of our site that we believe to be improper
- As a rule, we don’t share your personal information outside fellowtechies and affiliates.
- We currently do not share personal data with third parties for their direct marketing purposes without your permission
- Sometimes we’ll send administrative emails about account or service changes, or new policies. You can’t opt out of them.
- We won’t email you to ask for your password or other account information. If you receive such an email, let us know.